Pages

5.21.2011

Quickie Rapture Rant

Good Moroning ( that was a typo, but I like it and may use it again).

I became aware late Wednesday that people were discussing the return of Jesus Christ to bring His Children home was tentatively scheduled for today.

By someone other than God.

That was my first clue that the reports were greatly exaggerated.

The Bible says, "No man knows the day or the hour."  "It will come suddenly, like labor pains on a pregnant woman..."   "Like thief in the night..."

One of the Bible verses the preacher who is bravely predicting what so many others have tried and failed to predict accurately is Second Peter 3:8:

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved,
that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years,
and a thousand years like one day.

What he fails to do, in my (non-Bible teacher, non-seminary degreed) opinion is to consider this verse in its context.  The context of the passage is not the rapture, but final judgement.  A huge eschatological bite to chew(so I won't), but nearer and more delicious to my heart is the very next verse:


The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish
but for all to come to repentance.


That is the description of a Father God of love and mercy*

not a so-so parent like me.

When a child decides to make this a battle of wills.

I am in no hurry.

They aren't believing in me in that moment...not trusting me to have the answers for their momentary desires.

But I believe in them.

I know they will respond to the truth.

If I push it will take longer.

If anyone or anything tries to speed up the process...

The learning takes longer.

The restoration of fellowship happens later.

We lose precious time.

It seems like a thousand years,

But afterwards it was only the twinkling of a wise and loving parent's eye.





Father,  Bless Harold.  If he is afraid to die and would like to be changed.  Change him.  If he just wants to be proved right before men, instruct him in your love.  In Jesus name, Amen.


*If you would like to know more about a Father God of love and mercy, I invite you visit this link.
















3 comments:

Jen said...

This is so beautifully and well written. :)

Shell said...

I rolled my eyes at people thinking it was going to happen. B/c we aren't supposed to know, so I figured we were safe!

Stephanie Faris said...

I've been reading "Helter Skelter," just trying to get a grasp on this. As twisted and sick as all of that was, those people followed Manson because they believed he was Jesus. Of course, common sense would tell anyone Jesus wouldn't order them to savagely murder people in cold blood...but the lost seek salvation. And they sometimes can be guided down the wrong path for that salvation. I believe these people mean well (aside from their leader) but they are lost. They are seeking something they thought they'd found. It really bugs me that people like this leader can get out there and do so much harm. People were giving up their life's savings and selling their business. That's just wrong! The only good news in all of this is that the guy is 89, so he can't have too many of these left.