Pages

1.12.2012

Indelicate Subject Thursday: Wastefulness.

...warning: for reasons that remain unclear, I have not been able to rest until I explored this topic with my blog friends.  However, the squeamish and those whose 4th -8th graders may read over their shoulders, may wish to return to the blog on another day. 

One aspect of my daily life about which I have been fairly silent, is my interest in natural remedies.  I enjoy learning natural non-pharmaceutical ways of treating common concerns.  Not limited to chiropractic and dietary supplements, there is also, hydrotherapy (long hot soak in the bath, anyone?) bodywork (massage?) and a variety of ways of cleansing and purifying the body's tissues and internal organs in order to help us feel our best.

So I own this book that I refer to as "The Big Book of Refuses to Go to the Doctor".  It has a listing of supplements with their benefits and side effects, a section with conditions and their causes and treatments, and an alternative therapies section with a guide to doing them safely at home (like, color therapy or fasting, for example).

Deep in the nether regions of this massive tome (my first car was smaller) there is a section on...

Ugh.

(...this is the reason I am not a nurse)

Enemas. Colonic. Cleanse.

In all their varieties...

I don't remember them all, but one, I do.  I am not going to lie, Y'all.  I am offended.

Someone decided this was a treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's wasteful; I tell you.  Someone got drunk and said, "Hey, it's 6 months until daybreak, and this stuff's gone cold.  I have an idea!"

I would never have guessed unless I had read it in the pages of a book (Wait until Levar hears about this!).

Coffee...

That's not where it belongs.

public-domain-photos.com



 Sorry, I don't know what got into me...but I can tell you what didn't.

6 comments:

Carrie - ASassyRedhead.com said...

"Sorry, I don't know what got into me...but I can tell you what didn't."

THAT has got to be the funniest line I have heard in a looooong time!!

Girl, I wish I was more into natural stuff. I really do, but unless I'm in the hospital all strapped down to the bed and my life depends on it...ain't doing an enema.

No way. No how.

I don't care if it's made of gold.

Forget it.

Maggie S. said...

It's a waste of coffee I tell ya!!!

Jennifer said...

Total waste... of water even.

Alexandra said...

You're right..

Does NOT belong there, and not what that audience would look for.

Almost like a planted joke, you know?

On SNL, now that would be funny.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for aromatherapy and a good massage (I've got one scheduled this weekend), but a coffee enema?! Sacrilege!

Anonymous said...

I shudder at the very thought. Coffee enemas sound like they could be one of those unsafe things that get portrayed as medical, too. I loved the line about "six months till daybreak and this stuff's gone cold"