Pages

10.03.2011

A Great Conference Advocating for Better Birth

I am still processing my whole experience at the conference this weekend.  I am blown away, by some of the things I have learned.  Frequently throughout the day, I thought,"I have to tell my blog friends this info.  They can pass it on."  But then I would think, "No, that is so sad.  I don't want to hang that on someone."

Whatever the case, my mind is refreshed from getting stretched.  I don't mean to stretch yours, if you are trying to veg with a couple of blogs before bed, but I mean to share this information with you so you can share with people who need to know.


JUST ONE MORE ACCIDENTAL RUN-DOWN OF THE LARGE VIEW: CHILDBIRTH EDITION


1) Did you know there are:  33 countries with lower maternal mortality?  40 countries with lower infant mortality?  24 developed countries with lower c-section rates? than the U.S.  We are paying more for worse outcomes.


2) Did you know: There are between 44,000 and 98,000 deaths per year due to medical error?  More than breast cancer, Aids, or car accidents?  Medical errors cost the system (us) $8-29 billion (with a B) annually?


3) Did you know that newborn parenting training can be a factor in the prevention of postpartum depression? That feeling informed and competent from the very beginning can help a new parent feel relaxed and in tune with their baby?


4) Did you know that U.S. Mother Mortality  continues to increase, and as many as 2.3 of cases may go unreported?


5) OMG! Watch this!! (preview before sharing with children according to your beliefs) Did you know there are 5000 species of mammals?  I wonder why God would make 4999 to know how to give birth and one that doesn't?


6) It is in us.


Ina May was there.  Coleen was there.  Connie and Myra were there.  I got to breathe the same air.  I told Mickey it was like if he got to hang out all day with Santiago Calatrava .


What makes you love what you do?

3 comments:

Shell said...

Wow, I never would have guessed at any of these stats!

Jennifer said...

I can feel you jumping up and down with excitement. You make me want to be a doula and I know NOTHING about it. I wish I had you back when...

Jen said...

Ok, WOW!! to that video. I'm so glad that baby lived! But holy crap!! to that video, I've never seen anything like it. YIKES!